Texting dominates teens’ general communication choices, and 23% of teens own a smartphone. The volume of texting among teens has risen from 50 texts a day in 2009 to 60 texts for the median teen text user. Among teen communication choices:
- 63% say that they use text to communicate with others every day.
- 39% of teens make and receive voice calls on their mobile phones every day.
- 35% of all teens socialize with others in person outside of school on a daily basis.
- 29% of all teens exchange messages daily through social network sites.
- 22% of teens use instant messaging daily to talk to others.
- 19% of teens talk on landlines with people in their lives daily.
- 6% of teens exchange email daily.