Between mid-December and early January, the number of U.S. adult owners of both e-readers and tablet computers each rose from 10% to 19%. Overall, 29% of adults own at least one of them.

From mid-2011 into the autumn there was not much change in the ownership of tablets and e-book readers. However, as the holiday gift-giving season approached, the marketplace for both devices dramatically shifted.

Read our new report for more stats on digital reading device ownership here.